Jefferson Township, Montgomery County, Ohio was created on June 10, 1805 by the County Commissioners, from a portion of German Township. The Township was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States. Initially Jefferson Township was an extensive tract of land,
from which several present-day townships were formed. The Jefferson Township assumed its present form on August 21, 1841.